Cheapest way to dispense 2 kegs...

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Brewedout
Piss Artist

Cheapest way to dispense 2 kegs...

Post by Brewedout » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:15 pm

I'm looking for the cheapest way to dispense beer from 2 cornies for a party away from home.

I have hb s30 cylinders if anyone can think of a way to use them. I have considered 2 x mini co2 regulators that use disposable 16g cylinders this comes to about £35 from China.

Is there a way to share one of these regulators between two kegs?

I don't really want to buy 2 regulators as I probably would only ever use one going forward from now.

Any ideas?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Re: Cheapest way to dispense 2 kegs...

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Why not use a John Guest Splitter fitting foir two feeds.
Regards
Patch

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am

I couldn't envisage a fitting to make this work. The regulator goes straight onto the jg disconnect. Do you know of a fitting?

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:20 am

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:31 am

How would this connect to the female thread of the regulator?

Secla

Post by Secla » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 am

im not sure what connection you have on your reg. but most you can get a john guest fitting for then just connect 3/8 gas line

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... pi011212s/

like this but matching whatever thread you have on your regulator

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 am

Brewedout wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am
I couldn't envisage a fitting to make this work. The regulator goes straight onto the jg disconnect. Do you know of a fitting?
Hi Brewedout,

JG don't do disconnects AFAIK so any links to pictures of what you're trying to do? You don't mention any beer line/tubing in the plan - if the reg goes straight onto the disconnect and the CO2 bottle is connected to the reg, that's a lot of weight hanging off the post?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm

I was considering buying two of this type of regulator...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-16g-Regu ... :rk:7:pf:0

But wanted to see if there was a solution where by I could use just one to simultaneously serve two barrels. I'm not interested in keeping two, moving forwards I'd only need one.

You are quite right about the disconnects, don't know where that idea came from I meant CMB/cheaper Chinese versions.

The least amount of money possible to serve from two kegs is the aim!

Thanks

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Obviously the cheapest way is to pull the disconnect off one cornie on to the other when required, but I think you can buy John Guest fittings that will allow you to connect both at the same time.
Looking at the image of the regulator,(I have a similar one I purchased from the malt Miller).
You can connect a jg speed fit 3/8-1/4 mfl to where the original disconnect goes.
3/8 gas pipe then 3/8 speed fit equal splitter, to break the path into two.
Two lengths of 3/8 pipe out of the equal splitter.
Connect one 3/8-1/4ffl speed fit to each other end of pipe.
Connect one of the above to your disconnect and the other to another required.
I can’t see why it won’t work, but you still have the problem of cost of fittings!
I would just check that the thread into the regulator is the standard 1/4 ffl before dipping your hand in your pocket.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 pm

You can just disconnect the regulator and connect to the other. The cornie disconnects self-seal when disconnected. The carbonation will hold up for a while (certainly for an evening) when not connected up, but will stop serving beer when the pressure runs out and will need connecting up again.

If you are not in a position to keep swapping the regulator now and again, you can't do it this way.

(EDIT: looks like "Top Cat" has beaten me to that advise)
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Be aware you'll get through quite a few 16g CO2 cartridges if your beer is highly carbonated, and if lowly carbonated the linked regulator may not adjust down to low pressures. In the long run you may be better off with a better regulator and larger cylinder (like a Sodastream cylinder).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Top Cat wrote:Obviously the cheapest way is to pull the disconnect off one cornie on to the other when required, but I think you can buy John Guest fittings that will allow you to connect both at the same time.
Looking at the image of the regulator,(I have a similar one I purchased from the malt Miller).
You can connect a jg speed fit 3/8-1/4 mfl to where the original disconnect goes.
3/8 gas pipe then 3/8 speed fit equal splitter, to break the path into two.
Two lengths of 3/8 pipe out of the equal splitter.
Connect one 3/8-1/4ffl speed fit to each other end of pipe.
Connect one of the above to your disconnect and the other to another required.
I can’t see why it won’t work, but you still have the problem of cost of fittings!
I would just check that the thread into the regulator is the standard 1/4 ffl before dipping your hand in your pocket.
This isn't a bad idea at all, I have a good selection of fittings so could make this work.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 pm

PeeBee wrote:Be aware you'll get through quite a few 16g CO2 cartridges if your beer is highly carbonated, and if lowly carbonated the linked regulator may not adjust down to low pressures. In the long run you may be better off with a better regulator and larger cylinder (like a Sodastream cylinder).
This is a concern I have too. But then again for one evening it probably won't be an issue vs buying into soda stream gas and regulator for a one off occasion. The cheapest I've seen is knocking on £50 by the time I get the gas and regulator

Secla

Post by Secla » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:41 pm

i use a sodastream cylinder for dispensing from kegerator, not as economical as my big tank but alot more compact for in the house !

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:56 pm

If I were to use a sodastream CO2 cylinder would a mini regulator with 0-60Mpa range be OK or does it need 0-150Mpa?