Stuck Fermentation?

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
sram
Sober

Stuck Fermentation?

Post by sram » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi All,
I brewed a Hefe Weiss (a malt Miller kit) last Friday 1st Feb.
All seemed to go well. It had a O.G. of 1.046. Beersmith gave a est F.G. of 1.012. Fermentation took off rapidly (at 19C), so i thought all would be well. I have checked the gravity using a Hydrometer on the 4th, 5th and 8th of Feb, and the gravity has been at 1.016 on each of those days. I did give the fermenter a little shake and raised the temp. to 20C to see if it would wake the yeast up, to no avail. Is the fermentation finished or is it stuck? If it's stuck, what remedies do you suggest to lower the gravity those final few points.

Thanks

ben034
Steady Drinker

Re: Stuck Fermentation?

Post by ben034 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Was it an all grain brew? If so what was your mash temp and what grains were included in the kit. Also what yeast did you use? An FG of 1.016 is possible with a low attenuating yeast, especially if mashed high and grain bill has a lot of unfermentables.

sram
Sober

Post by sram » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Yes, it was an all grain kit. I use a Grainfather.
The mash temp was 66c (60mins), mash out at 75c (10mins).
The mash pH was high at 5.7.

2000g Pale Wheat Malt
1800g Maris Otter
130g Munich
I made a starter with 1 pkt of Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast.
I also added a yeast nutrient into the last 10 mins of the boil

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:09 pm

65% isnt unheard of especially with a super starchy mash. If you’re concerned finish it with us-05 or nottingham which both work great in almost finished beer - otherwise I’d say you’re probably good to go.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 pm

I’ve brewed a few hefeweizen with MJ Bavarian Weiss yeast. I find it does finish quite high. 65% apparent attenuation is not uncommon. Leaves the beer a little sweet, but that’s ok with hefeweizen. Or at least judges have been happy enough with my hefeweizen in a few competitions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

sram
Sober

Post by sram » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks for your advice.
It does taste a little sweet, but otherwise ok.
I didn't want to bottle it, only to have some mini bombs. It suppose it won't do any harm to leave it another week. Just to be sure.

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:42 am

Any particular reason you made a starter? From my experience there's no need as rehydrating should be sufficient.

I've just recently made a dark hefe and 1.016 is not too high for bottling, especially after 3 days of consistent readings. It's best drank fresh anyway so get the bugger refrigerated as soon as it's carbed to avoid bombs.

sram
Sober

Post by sram » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 am

I showed my lack of experience/knowledge. I rehydrated the yeast.
I've just taken delivery of a keg starter set this morning, and I've found a place where i can get CO2 from. So i'm going to try kegging.
No doubt my next post will be in the dispensing area of this forum :D
Cheers