Wellbom 5l kegs

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
XxthehoffxX
Sober

Wellbom 5l kegs

Post by XxthehoffxX » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi folks

Any one here ever bought the 5L Wellbom kegs on alibaba coming in at $400 for four kegs c/w dispenser lids, flow control tap c/w shank and a mini gas reg?

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Wellbom 5l kegs

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Link? Sounds like a lot of money for not much

XxthehoffxX
Sober

Post by XxthehoffxX » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 pm

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:15 pm

I would be very wary of the quality of internal finish.

Could be a gamble with a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:05 am

I have got both the mini growler kegs and a half size corny (aeb).

There are pros and cons to both of them, but be wary of all the directly connected tappage. Get a picnic tap with 3/16 line reducers and it will work better for fobbingz

Also those mini regs are a bit shit too. Look into propane regs instead, or even a pet bottle with a carbonation cap that you can pressurise up to ~45 psi.

If you just go for the spear heads and the growler kegs separately you can save a bit of money on eBay.

If you have a proper reg and a gas setup, an aeb half corny is the mutts nuts, and cheaper than the growler option

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 pm

There can be worlds of difference in quality between similar looking products and there is a lot of rubbish around, so it would be a gamble unless you can find (genuine) reviews for the exact same thing. But of course that doesn't mean they aren't good, just that it is uncertain.

As mentioned previously, it is also worth factoring in the extras needed for a full working system. Compared to established alternatives (like AEB kegs with gas and beer posts already built in) and the connectors etc, the savings didn't seem great when I last looked at it.
Kev

XxthehoffxX
Sober

Post by XxthehoffxX » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback gents.

My Driver for the growlers is that they will fit in a picnic cooler (no room for full keg fridge)where as the corny wont.
Plan is to fit a tap on the cooler which will allow sufficient tubing to prevent the foaming you get with the post fitted tap (tried this one already with full size corny)

I already have regs this one is small and i will prime rather than force carb so only for pushing beer out probably use soda stream to keep it Mobile as possible.

I am going to research a bit more to see if i can find a more local solution will keep thread updated!

Cheers

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 am

Sign up to Aussie HomeBrewer. They have a mods thread for the 5L growlers which are very popular over there.

Small apartments and good weather seem to favour small footprint home keg systems that can be made portable with little fuss.

The 5L units are the sweet spot here, as they will fit a husky fridge with disconnects.

EalingDrop
Sober

Post by EalingDrop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 am

Whilst there is a thread on AHB, it was the early days with lots of ideas but few were actually realised, and some waste of time/money. One example was using flow control taps to control foam, but you'd have to go through a lot of pages to discover this.

You're better off signing up to Australian Craft Brewing. Most of the experienced mini keg users are there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Image Ealing Drop.

The mini kegs are good and do things different to half corny kegs, so a straight comparison if volume vs price isn’t truly fair.

But I have found that there are some builds that are overthought. In a 5L keg a small group of people will empty it in a night, so portable cooling solutions need not be any more sophisticated than a bucket full of ice, and a DIY picnic tap made from a coil of 3/16 line with reducers will solve most fobbing issues.

I would skip most of the attached metalwork like portable flow control taps; keep it for the kitchen.

Of course, don’t forget the storage capacity of a small husky fridge either:

EalingDrop
Sober

Post by EalingDrop » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:59 pm

Is that PET bottle used to dispense co2? If so, can it do a full keg or do you top it up intermittently?

I don't do it anymore, but that method would work well with the keg on the side in a house fridge.[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... f1dbe7.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:36 am

Carbonation cap attached to a (purged) 500ml PET bottle. Topped up with 45 PSI.

If it drops too much, just top it up from the main bottle. Don’t know how long it lasts yet, but if I needed it to last, I would just use larger PET bottles or more of them, assuming I needed it to work far away from the keg.

For a larger keg I don’t see how 2L of 45 psi co2 would push it all out, but that’s not the problem this is meant to solve.

You could do the maths etc. And an in-line secondary reg would help.