Tilt hydrometer and Raspberry Pi

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Tilt hydrometer and Raspberry Pi

Post by Cobnut » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 am

My other half bought me a Tilt Hydrometer for Christmas and so far so good, but logging continuously has meant leaving a "spare" phone out by the fermenter which isn't something I am happy to do. Would be OK if my cheap tablet (Tesco HUDL 2) would detect the Tilt via bluetooth, but it doesn't.

Tilt Hydrometer website refers to using Tilt Pi on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and they're as cheap as a cheap thing, so off went my order and back came this tiny, weany single PCB "computer" about the size of a box of Swan Vesta's. The website tells me to download the Tilt Pi image file and burn it to the SDHC card using "Etcher" and this is where I'm failing: Etcher keep returning an error “invalid stored block lengths” and craps out.

Etcher is a bit of Open Source code and nowhere can I find any guidance on this error.

There is a second image file which includes support for HDMI port on the "Pi" which I set to download before bed last night - I'll try it again this evening, but not very hopeful.

So, over to the might of JBK: has anyone successfully installed Tilt Pi and got logging working? Any tips and tricks? Maybe it's the SDHC card I'm using?

And I thought this would be oh-so-simple...

In frustration,

James
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Re: Tilt hydrometer and Raspberry Pi

Post by HairyJamie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 pm

I haven't tried this myself but have a fair deal of experience with Raspberry pi's, 9 times out if 10 it's the SD card, I'd try another one.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 pm

I had horrendous issues with etcher try win32 disk imager, just search for it and you’ll find it.

I found it works better and I have tiltpi working fine. However I have to say that it does sound like it may well be an sd card issue.

A pi zero w and tiltpi is my setup with the tilt and it works brilliantly.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks, guys, but I’m happy to be able to report that I managed to burn the alternative Tilt Pi image using Etcher and I’m now up and running!

I now have to hope that the beer turns out ok :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!