Bottling from Corny?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Bottling from Corny?

Post by Cobnut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Having been bottling for the past few years (quickly learned to use Little Bottler, batch priming, draining tree, etc.), I am taking baby steps towards Corny kegs, but bottles remain very useful and attractive for sharing, portability, etc. So I've been trying to research best options for bottling force carbonated bright beer from a corny keg.

T'internet seems divided on best options, so how do the experts of JBK feel?

- Counter-pressure filler?

- Beer gun?

- Something else?

And where to source the kit?

I feel confident of a rush of opinions and hopeful of clearing my confusion :)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Bottling from Corny?

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:33 pm

By far the best bottling device out there is the Pegas . If you search on here you will find a lot of threads concerning it. AliExpress will have some Chinese "homages" to it as well but the original is bomb proof.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

f00b4r
Site Admin

Bottling from Corny?

Post by f00b4r » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm

If it's just the odd beer and not for long term storage then a carbonation cap (or a handful of them) can be very useful to fill PET bottles with bright beer (ex fizzy drink bottles too). I have a Pegas and it's great but for doing the odd beer the carbonation cap is my preferred choice (I don't have it permanently setup though).

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm
If it's just the odd beer and not for long term storage then a carbonation cap (or a handful of them) can be very useful to fill PET bottles with bright beer (ex fizzy drink bottles too). I have a Pegas and it's great but for doing the odd beer the carbonation cap is my preferred choice (I don't have it permanently setup though).
Do you use that to transfer carbonated beer to bottles? Or do you simply carbonate a bottle of beer using the cap?
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Cobnut wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm
Do you use that to transfer carbonated beer to bottles? Or do you simply carbonate a bottle of beer using the cap?
Transfer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCrfp8h ... ture=share

f00b4r
Site Admin

Bottling from Corny?

Post by f00b4r » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:33 pm

You can do all sorts of cool things with carbonation caps from cleaning beer lines/taps, emptying/flushing beer engines between sessions to avoid stale beer, adding finings to kegs and with the Fermentasaurus 2 (due soon-ish) it looks like they are using these as their standard ports on the top and collection bottle (should allow you to rouse hops in a closed system and purge the collection bottles amongst other things). As long as you cover the bottle to avoid skunking you can take 1-2L bottles of beer to friends using fizzy water bottles.
Orlando is right about the Pegas, they are great to use but I only use mine when bottling a keg or a few from a number of different kegs. It even has an (expensive) add-on case that allows you to bottle in glass safely (even if the bottle explodes), although there are hacks to imitate this without the safety barrier (it probably depends on the type of beer and carbonation if the official method is worth it).
Last edited by f00b4r on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:24 pm

I bought a beer gun and I don’t get on with it (anyone want to buy!?). In retrospect I don’t know why I bought it as the whole idea of kegging for me was to save time, moving beer out of a keg into a bottle is something I’m not prepared to spend time on, but each to their own.

What I do which I do find works well is continue brewing 23L ish batches, Corny 19 L and bottle the other 4. The 4 L tends to cover the portable beers I need, without needing to handle the beer another time.

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:09 pm

Agree with f00b4r - have started bottling to 1lt fizzy water bottles using a couple of the caps and works well.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks all for the comments.

I've taken a double-plunge and ordered an eBay special counter-pressure filler and a couple of carbonation caps, but to be honest if the first taste of the 10.5L corny of my Sam Smith's oatmeal stout clone is representative of the whole keg, I'll be through it before the deliveries arrive! SWMBO enjoyed it too.

:)

wasteddegrees
Sober

Post by wasteddegrees » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Beer gun works great. Can't recommend enough. Keep kegs cool to reduce fobbing