Beer Taps

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Brewser
Tippler

Beer Taps

Post by Brewser » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:12 am

Hi

I currently have bar mounted Beer Tower (fairly cheap import I must admit) that works fine. The tap is spring bound, so you have to hold the tap open whilst pouring. A lot of YouTube tutorials show taps that flip open and then stay open without having to hold them open. I was wondering if there are any modifications that can be made to the tap I have, or which particular type of tap I would need to replace my existing one?

joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: Beer Taps

Post by joe1002 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Personally I prefer the taps which close themselves but if you don't want that can you not just open the tap and take the spring out?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Hum... as "joe1002" suggests, he, and most others, want taps that close themselves. I have "bumped" taps before now and ended up with a good splash on the floor, which, once I've reacted to the "collision" and closed the tap, I sit in and cry.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

chrisbjones202
Steady Drinker

Post by chrisbjones202 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:14 pm

I've got one of each, the spring is in the shank on mine, other than that there identical.
Does the spring not pull out?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 am

Hi thanks for the replies. Yes the spring does come out, but I thought that may affect the functionality of the tap? I would expect in order for it to close tight the spring would be needed. I was hoping for something in between... a tap that stays open when ‘on’ then flips back to close position when when pushed. I’m sure i can live with holding it on whilst pouring :lol:

LeeH
Under the Table

Beer Taps

Post by LeeH » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 am

If it’s a cheap push back to fill type it will need the spring I would have thought.

The perlick types have optional springs as pressure helps seals them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am

It is a pull, not a push tap. I would say standard beer tower style. I guess a good way to describe what I am looking for would be a 'pub style' tap. These seem to be spring bound, but stay 'on' so that a slow pint can be poured whilst doing other things. Then a quick flip and the spring would close the tap off again

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 am

A lot of pub taps you may have seen are the black plastic Dalex type, or metal variations on that kind of design. They have springs to ensure they stay closed, and in fact will close themselves up to a certain point. But if you pull them fully on then a cam action in the handle latches them open. You can sometimes get them fairly cheaply on ebay with or without flow adjustment (check their thread and beer-line fittings match your requirements).

I find the latching thing quite useful when running stuff through (to clean and so on), but don't usually make use of it when filling a glass. Partly because I prefer to hold the glass at a good angle and height (so I'm stood there anyway), and partly because distraction can cause spills if the tap is left running.
Kev

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Thanks Kev888 cleaning was what made me look into this also

chrisbjones202
Steady Drinker

Post by chrisbjones202 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Brewser wrote:Hi thanks for the replies. Yes the spring does come out, but I thought that may affect the functionality of the tap? I would expect in order for it to close tight the spring would be needed. I was hoping for something in between... a tap that stays open when ‘on’ then flips back to close position when when pushed. I’m sure i can live with holding it on whilst pouring Image
The pressure in the line will seal shut once pushed closed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk