Guinness clone. ?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
alfie09
Tippler

Guinness clone. ?

Post by alfie09 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello

I have gw versions of Guinness and I have brewed it no end of times. But was wondering if in the 10 years I’ve been absent as anyone got it even closer with a tweAked recipe?

Normski
Under the Table

Re: Guinness clone. ?

Post by Normski » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi Alfie
Welcome back.
The GW recipe is a fine recipe.
I too have been using it for years, I've tried lots of others but always come back to the 70/20/10 grain bill.
I sometimes have used other hops, and a few different yeasts.
Maybe you could try some WLP 004 yeast which is supposed to be from Guinness.

Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Guinness reportedly mixes a small amount of soured Guinness into each fresh batch to give it a wee hint of twang (for lack of better flavor terminology). That's at least one reason why its taste in so hard to duplicate.

Many people complain that Fermentis S-04 dry yeast generates a bit of lactic acid taste during fermentation, and it results in a bit of a twang (again, for lack of better terminology here) that causes many people to reject the use of this yeast, but in this case it may be just what the doctor ordered.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Try adding acid malt to your recipe
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Tiny amount will do it 0.5-1%

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 am

Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm
Guinness reportedly mixes a small amount of soured Guinness into each fresh batch to give it a wee hint of twang (for lack of better flavor terminology). That's at least one reason why its taste in so hard to duplicate
They may have done many years ago but not now. I was not aware that draught Guinness these days had any taste =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:56 am

IPA wrote:
Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm
Guinness reportedly mixes a small amount of soured Guinness into each fresh batch to give it a wee hint of twang (for lack of better flavor terminology). That's at least one reason why its taste in so hard to duplicate
They may have done many years ago but not now. I was not aware that draught Guinness these days had any taste =D>
Especially the Ice Cold (or whatever stupid name the marketeers came up with) Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:38 am

IPA wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 am
Cobnut wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:56 am
Especially the Ice Cold (or whatever stupid name the marketeers came up with)
That's better!

I was getting worried that the usual Guinness knocking hadn't materialised to such an open invitation. Had we gone soft … na, I just hadn't waited long enough.

But to put in my answer to the OP: No, the GW version probably hasn't been tweaked to get closer to Guinness. But the commercial Guinness has been tweaked to get further away from the original Guinness, and you don't want to be copying that.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

alfie09
Tippler

Post by alfie09 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I agree I prefer the old recipe they sell this in bottles. not the ice cold sold in pubs it hides the taste.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:50 pm

I know it's not what we're talking about, but to give Guinness a bit of a positive stroke, I do like their West Indies Porter in bottles.

Cheers!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Cobnut wrote:I know it's not what we're talking about, but to give Guinness a bit of a positive stroke, I do like their West Indies Porter in bottles.

Cheers!
Foreign export is also very good

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 am

Any recipes to share for the various Guinness Ales?
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 am

Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 am
Any recipes to share for the various Guinness Ales?
Such may be only slightly relevant. Little brewing at St James's Gate was kept secret, but sadly the real recipes are hidden amongst a mass of misinformation by alien and foreign interpretion. The beer that became famous around the globe was a combination of roasted barley and barley malts with a chloride addition to water taken from the reed beds of the Grand Canal between two specific locks. It wasn't made with low mineral water from the Wicklow Mountains and the essence currently made at St James's for export to Nigeria. Nigeria is the largest current day producer of Guinness, made from sorghum and mixed with a roasted barley product from Dublin.

Do as they did, roast the barley and malt to the turn, get the right water with the proper yeast and you're on your way. Meanwhile, Dave Line's recipe, to be later Graham Wheeler's of 70:20:10% is a good starting point to give the feel of what it might be.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 am

Eric wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 am
Do as they did, roast the barley and malt to the turn, get the right water with the proper yeast and you're on your way. Meanwhile, Dave Line's recipe, to be later Graham Wheeler's of 70:20:10% is a good starting point to give the feel of what it might be.
Thanks Eric! In the States we have both 300L and 500L roasted barley (with the darker of the two referred to as black barley). Should the 10% portion be made into a split between these two? And if not, should I use the 300L or the 500L roast barley at 10%?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 am

Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 am
Eric wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 am
Thanks Eric! In the States we have both 300L and 500L roasted barley (with the darker of the two referred to as black barley). Should the 10% portion be made into a split between these two? And if not, should I use the 300L or the 500L roast barley at 10%?
Simpson's describe their roasted barley as The typical malt in dry, Irish-style stouts. Their present specification in Lovibomd is, minimum 488.1 and maximum 713.1. You might care to have a go roasting your own, it can be fun as well as producing some interesting beers.

The yeast was a key component which several older members here will remember harvesting from bottles of Guinness. It used to be shipped from the brewery in large barrels and rebottled locally until it was found that the product was in some places diluted with other beers. I don't suppose that yeast is any longer available.

I brew variations on the 70:20:10 theme, always 70% pale but the 20% adjunct can be barley or wheat in various forms and the 10 roast can include roasted malts as well as barley. Water is also a key component.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.