How big an immersion coil?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewbrew
Steady Drinker

How big an immersion coil?

Post by brewbrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi, I'm after some advice. I'm in the market for an immersion coil. I want it to be stainless.

My boiler runs are based on 25 litres. Will I get away with a 7m coil of 9mm pipe to get from 100 to 20 deg C in say 15 mins? If it will take longer - how long?

Or should I be looking at the much more expensive 15m one - at which point, I'm in the same price bracket at a plate heat exchanger - which whilst we are on the subject, can I ask if folks use plate heat exchangers without a wort pump? - and if so, what height of head to you need between the lowest part of the boiler and the final discharge point?

Thanks for your valued advice.

BB

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: How big an immersion coil?

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:02 pm

The faster you can cool the wort the better.

My cooling coil is one of these. With vigorous stirring it will get boiling wort down to well below 30°C in about 15 minutes.

Guy

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am

Unfortunately mileage varies massively according to water flow rate, temperature and movement of the wort, so it is hard to sensibly compare cooling times except in quite a general way. In general a 7m coil should be adequate for 25L, but you'd potentially be looking at much longer to 20c during summer (when the water isn't much colder than pitching temperature), those last few degrees can take ages. If you wanted to go longer to minimise that, then depending on your water pressure it might be better to run two shorter coils than one long one. BTW copper works similarly well to stainless with ICs, as the cleaning/maintenance is so uncomplicated.

Plate chillers are more efficient because the wort flows as well as the coolant. But.. there is a time overhead in cleaning the things and you have to be sure no debris get in them as it is very hard to flush them out again (properly fine kettle filters and so on). They are reasonably free flowing so can be used without a pump or huge drops.. but personally I'd not wish to use them without a pump, in order to recirculate cleaner through (and a big pressure cooker to autoclave them prior to use). Possibly a stainless counterflow chiller might suit you better if it were of a short/wide enough bore for running wort through under gravity.
Kev

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:28 pm

brewbrew wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm
Hi, I'm after some advice. which whilst we are on the subject, can I ask if folks use plate heat exchangers without a wort pump? - and if so, what height of head to you need between the lowest part of the boiler and the final discharge point?

Thanks for your valued advice.

BB
Minimum of 70 cm is the answer. Don't even think of using one if you you do not have a BacBrewing Springer or similar filter in your boiler. Because you will clog up the plate chiller. If you have they are brilliant. But you do have flush them IMMEDIATELY after use with hot water. Saves me over an hour every brewday when using a 50 litre Braumeister
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Where are you based? I have a copper double coiled immersion chiller sitting doing nothing since I got a grainfather. It'll be a pig to post but if you're local (north east uk) we could arrange something.

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks for the offer - but I'm based in the deep southwest.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

brewbrew wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 pm
Thanks for the offer - but I'm based in the deep southwest.
Send a courier to pick it up.

If you go for a plate chiller (recommended) then as long as you are scrupulous with its care you will be really impressed. A pressure cooker is very useful to ensure sterility, not just sanitation.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:46 am

I made my copper immersion chiller for around £20 only 3 years ago. 10m of 10mm copper pipe from a local plumbing supplier, plus a few metres of hose and two jubilee clips. Oh, and the hose-lock tap attachment.
Attachments
B8F550BF-43BA-4B61-A9CA-A5854DD6024C.jpeg

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am

Made mine myself too. Although price if copper has gone up a bit.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Microbo ... m/p/420700

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 pm

alexlark wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am
Made mine myself too. Although price if copper has gone up a bit.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Microbo ... m/p/420700
Wow, hasn’t it just. This source is a bit cheaper... https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/10mm ... pipe-coil/

alfie09
Tippler

Post by alfie09 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Says on that last one coppers plastic coated ??

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:22 pm

alfie09 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:56 pm
I think it means the coil is wrapped in plastic and colour coded for use with gas or water supplies.
Best wishes

Dave

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Dave S wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:22 pm
alfie09 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:56 pm
I think it means the coil is wrapped in plastic and colour coded for use with gas or water supplies.
I agree.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.