Barrelled wine

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
greenwood
Steady Drinker

Barrelled wine

Post by greenwood » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Going to stick 5 gallons of red wine in brown pressure barrel . Inject nitrogen/co2 mix and then vent after every serving so as not to pressurise /carbonate . Anyone else tried this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Barrelled wine

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 am

I haven't tried it, but I think you'll still get fizzy wine if it's left with pressure on it between uses.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am

I've not done this with wine so can't make any particular recommendations, but if it behaves like beer then yes even with mixed gas you'll get some carbonation unless the pressure is very low indeed.

Occasional venting won't do a great deal to reduce it unless left open for a fair old while each time. Better IMO not to pressurise noticeably to begin with; it won't gain anything that I can see - the gas is really just used to replace/purge oxygen in the headspace and prevent more being drawn in when dispensing.
Kev

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10 pm

I was thinking of injecting the gas and then immediately venting it to purge any air . Then tightening again . Replacing the air with gas at no pressure ??

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Oh I see, apologies, I didn't read the OP like that for some reason - I wrongly thought you were injecting way beforehand then just venting after serving.

Yes, if you inject gas just before or during serving to stop oxygen being drawn in, then afterwards vent pressure to prevent carbonation, I don't see any problem. It would be better than letting oxygen in during dispensing and then trying to inject/purge, since that is far less effective than stopping the oxygen to begin with (especially as the headspace size increases).

I've only kept wine in glass (or temporarily bags) myself so don't know if the oxygen-permeability of the barrel will be an issue in the time it takes to drink the wine.
Kev

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Kev888 wrote:Oh I see, apologies, I didn't read the OP like that for some reason - I wrongly thought you were injecting way beforehand then just venting after serving.

Yes, if you inject gas just before or during serving to stop oxygen being drawn in, then afterwards vent pressure to prevent carbonation, I don't see any problem. It would be better than letting oxygen in during dispensing and then trying to inject/purge, since that is far less effective than stopping the oxygen to begin with (especially as the headspace size increases).

I've only kept wine in glass (or temporarily bags) myself so don't know if the oxygen-permeability of the barrel will be an issue in the time it takes to drink the wine.
That’s it! I’m going to inject gas .... fill carafe .. vent pressure ! Thanks for taking the trouble ... I’ll keep you posted !

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 pm

If that's what you want to do, you might be better off buying a polypin. They're basically just like a massive wine box.

Here's an example - https://www.home-brew-hopshop.co.uk/cub ... litre.html

Big advantage is you don't need to use CO2 and is re-useable, so will pay for itself in the long run.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks Jim . I’ve used the poly pins for real ale with hand pumps . When I’ve tried them with wine I’ve always had problems to stop ‘glugging’ especially for the last half of the pin . ( especially as you need three hands!) Got all my gas systems in place for my beers and thought it might give me quality wine to the bottom of the barrel . Worth a try ...

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Barrelled wine

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:25 pm

You might want to consider using a low pressure propane reg to top up the headspace with co2 as you draw off from the keg.

I use these when I am bottling from the Fv over multiple days, and when I am purging kegs.

Should work the same for wine. I do it with real ale too, but I prefer to put a bit of positive pressure there too to keep conditions in the beer.

https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-regulator ... ooder.html

I have one of these^ and it’s brilliant. Got it for real ale, and I am still finding new uses for it

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Looks a handy gadget . How do you connect it to gas line ?

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:49 pm

Just my 2c, you may be better storing under pressure and using a wine aerator prior to serving to prevent oxidizing of the stored wine. Polys work great like jim says because they only allow air out, and wine is somewhat self preserving.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:40 pm

greenwood wrote:Looks a handy gadget . How do you connect it to gas line ?

It’s ok I’ve sorted it and ordered parts .

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you for your suggestion . It’s a brilliant addition to my bar . It has enabled me to adapt my old 6 gallon plastic kegs for handpump duties and free up cornies for craft ales .... plus it is perfect for pushing the red wine out ...

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:01 pm

It has BSP threaded fittings that will take 3/8 PF adapters.

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:

It has BSP threaded fittings that will take 3/8 PF adapters.
As I say SOAB , thank you ! Brilliant for hand pump real ale and pushing out bulk stored wine + saves wasting gas by venting excess! Thanks again . Martin