Smallest brew ever

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Smallest brew ever

Post by a-slayer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:59 am

Now being of a careful disposition and not liking waste I have just bottled off my smallest batch ever, a total of seven pints.
It has come about from saving the leftovers from my boiler, I have a 100 litre boiler and when draining off am left with about a litre and a half of murky wort.
These have been saved in a five litre Asbeck bottle in the freezer and last weekend the remains from three brews were thawed out and boiled for ten minutes to sterilize it before cooling and pitching. I wonder what this brew is going to be like, a mixture of a lager type beer, a mild and a bitter. So all in there are about 11 different hops in this!
Anyone else done this?

jsebright
Sober

Re: Smallest brew ever

Post by jsebright » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:35 am

Never tried it - if it's only a bit murky it goes in the fermenter, really thick dregs get ditched.

Are you using leftover random yeast dregs as well?
Dry hopping with brewing box sweepings?
Bottling with different shape / size bottles and different colour tops I hope.
If it's the best beer ever can you repeat it / scale it up ?

Good luck with it!

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Sounds like a fun tasting project to me :twisted:
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:49 pm

If pumps are used on kettles there are often a few usable dregs that can be drip-drained afterwards, though in my case thats rarely enough to bother with alone. However the mash/grain will also usually yield some low gravity wort if sparged a bit more, that can be rendered down to thicken it, and together they can be useful.

I'll often do this if some spare wort is wanted for making starters. But if the quality isn't too bad then yes, it might have the spent hops squeezed into it and get put into a demijohn or similar to make a beer. I wouldn't add it to the main batch, but it can be quite decent after higher gravity main batches - not bad at all for nearly free.
Kev