fermentation containers.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sam51
Tippler

fermentation containers.

Post by sam51 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:03 am

hi all, are these containers, ok to use when the mash time is up, can syphon the beer in to these,

bearing in mind that the temp is around 68c to 70c.
thanks .

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: fermentation containers.

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 pm

I can't see any link or image to the type of fermentation container you mean, but there are different kinds and some would be better than others. Most PP or thick HDPE types would be okay at mash temperatures though, as would stainless of course. PET wouldn't be, glass may be but I wouldn't risk it myself unless it were pre-warmed.

In concept, theres no great harm in having an intermediate vessel to transfer or temporarily hold the wort between mash and boil. But you wouldn't want to actually store unboiled wort if that is the intention.
Kev

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: fermentation containers.

Post by Jocky » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Kev888 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 pm
I can't see any link or image to the type of fermentation container you mean, but there are different kinds and some would be better than others. Most PP or thick HDPE types would be okay at mash temperatures though, as would stainless of course. PET wouldn't be, glass may be but I wouldn't risk it myself unless it were pre-warmed.

In concept, theres no great harm in having an intermediate vessel to transfer or temporarily hold the wort between mash and boil. But you wouldn't want to actually store unboiled wort if that is the intention.
What Kev said.

The food grade brewing buckets are absolutely fine for transferring wort, although once you get up above mashing temperature (80C+) they get a bit wobbly and I wouldn't like to be moving wort in them, and I definitely wouldn't rely upon the handles.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.