More Corny keg questions

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

More Corny keg questions

Post by Cobnut » Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 am

My journey to the World of Corny Kegs continues with the acquisition of an under-counter fridge (£30 off facebook marketplace for a tidy little modern fridge :) ).

Said fridge is large enough to hold my 2 x 19L kegs & 1 x 10.5L keg, but the gas bottle won't fit in there at the same time :(

Does the collective wisdom of JBK advise that I aim to keep the gas bottle inside the fridge? Or is it going to be OK outside the fridge?

Chance are it'll get a tad warm in the shed come summer (assuming we get one!), but I can only fit it in the space reserved for one of the 19L kegs.

What do people think?

Thanks all.

James
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Re: More Corny keg questions

Post by Trefoyl » Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 am

It’s normal to keep the gas bottle outside the fridge, just be careful you aren’t going to hit any vital components where you drill the hole through the fridge wall to pass the hose through.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 am

Trefoyl wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 am
It’s normal to keep the gas bottle outside the fridge, just be careful you aren’t going to hit any vital components where you drill the hole through the fridge wall to pass the hose through.
Excellent thanks!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:59 pm

You would normally get by with a CO2 cylinder in a shed in the UK, though it depends on the temperature they reach. Cars and greenhouses in high summer, not so good by way of comparison - though in theory the big cylinders should blow a vent rather than explode.

But if in doubt some vents in the shed to allow a bit of airflow would be good, so that it doesn't become an oven in there - this is probably going to be equally (or more) important for the fridge in any case. Having the cylinder outside in the shade is also an option since the CO2 line length isn't much of an issue - though if the regulator is directly connected then an upturned bucket or similar might be wise to keep the weather off it..
Kev