Mixed Fermentation

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Mixed Fermentation

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:01 pm

I was trying to propagate some weissbier yeast from the dregs of a couple of bottles of (very nice) Weihenstephaner weissbier and this happened:

It wasn't there at 7pm last night, but 12 hours later is surely is. And the smell is very much like a sour beer.

So my thinking is I have my house "wild yeast" strain for use in more esoteric beers.

Anyone out there got experience of this sort of thing?

Any precautions I need to take?

Current thinking is to park this away to let it ferment out and then keep it in the fridge til I'm ready to use it (probably initially in a saison primarily fermented with a commercial saison yeast strain).

Am I mad?
Attachments
pellicle.jpg
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

DaveGillespie
Tippler

Re: Mixed Fermentation

Post by DaveGillespie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:11 pm

FYI, Weihenstephaner don't bottle with the primary strain.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Mixed Fermentation

Post by Cobnut » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Guess I'll buy some WLP300 or else stick with the MJ yeast which has served me fairly well to date.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!