Corney Keg to Beer Tower Set-Up. FOAMING

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi Chaps, hope someone can help? [-o<

I have a 'homemade' Kegerator style set up - Corny Keg in Fridge with beer line to bar mounted Beer Tower. Whatever i seem to do, at least halfway down the keg (if not before) i get a lot of foaming from the tap. Like to serve Ales such as Courage, Directors, Wherry etc. Specifics of the system are:

Corny Keg at 10psi (serving ale so don't want too carbonated)
Fridge at 10c controlled by ink-bird (service ale so don't want too cold)
6-7 ft of 3/16" ID beer line

I have tried varying psi and beer line length and also diameter, with relatively little success. From what i have read, most Kegerator style set-up will only work at 3c to prevent foaming. Is this correct? If so, i think my ale will be ruined?

The only other thing i can think of is that i have been priming in secondary vessel (plastic pressure barrel) before kegging. Could the beer be over-carbed?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Corney Keg to Beer Tower Set-Up. FOAMING

Post by vacant » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:57 pm

The dip tube sits on a small rubber seal. If that seal has split perhaps gas could be entering at the base of the out post.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks. I will have a look. Presumably that is easy enough to replace?
Can you confirm that i shouldn't have to drop the temp to 3c?

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Very easy to replace assuming you have the correct spanner to remove the post.

I have two corny kegs in my fridge @ 13C. I only use around four feet of 3/16th beer line.

I have no foaming with a conventional long dip tube. I have a bit of foaming with a short "out" dip tube and internal float connected with thin silicone hose.

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks. Can i ask what psi you have your kegs at?

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:56 pm

It varies, usually around 12 but sometimes less (or a lot less, especially if I forget I have left the gas on one keg and the tap on the other - has been known!)

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:42 pm

Haha thanks for your help. Fingers crossed the seal will solve the problem

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 am

The simple answer is that the beer is over carbonated. It is not foaming at the beginning because secondary fermentation has not finished. But as this fermentation continues the carbonation increases and causes foaming.
The solution is to ferment out until the real fg is reached and then prime with no more than 2.5 gr a litre of white sugar.
A spunding valve will also help attain the correct pressure and the gas should not be connected until beer stops flowing from the tap.
Anyone who does not believe this should try filling a cornie with water set the serving pressure to 0.5 bar and see how it flows out of the tap.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 am

Your temp and pressure is not the issue.

The seal is likely. Do you have just 1 keg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:43 am

LeeH wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 am
Your temp and pressure is not the issue.

The seal is likely. Do you have just 1 keg?

I repeat the only cause of beer foaming is over carbonation. Try my experiment and see for yourself. Plus it should not be necessary to have the gas connected if beer is still flowing out of the tap. If a seal is faulty the keg would lose pressure.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:11 am

How can it over carbonate at 10 and 10?

EDIT: never noticed he primed with sugar. Definitely the issue then...

Last edited by LeeH on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:44 am

IPA wrote:
The simple answer is that the beer is over carbonated. It is not foaming at the beginning because secondary fermentation has not finished. But as this fermentation continues the carbonation increases and causes foaming.
The solution is to ferment out until the real fg is reached and then prime with no more than 2.5 gr a litre of white sugar.
A spunding valve will also help attain the correct pressure and the gas should not be connected until beer stops flowing from the tap.
Anyone who does not believe this should try filling a cornie with water set the serving pressure to 0.5 bar and see how it flows out of the tap.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:11 am

IPA wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Only just seen these. Not sure what a spunding valve is. I have been priming with 80g sugar for 5 gallons in a pressure barrel, then transferring to a Corny when ready to serve. Excess pressure is venting from a pressure barrel, isn't it? I then keg it 'bright' leaving behind any sediment from the secondary fermentation/priming.

Firstly, am i priming with too much sugar for my set up?

Secondly, should i not connect the gas on the Corny until serving? I have been applying some pressure to seal the lid until serving.

Thanks in advance.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 am

30 psi to seal the lid then reduce the pressure to x psi to carbonate over a week then serve at the same pressure.

If your pour is too fast or slow adjust your line length/bore to suit or use a flow control tap.

Pressure, temp and time are your 3 variables that you must control.

Brewser
Tippler

Post by Brewser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 am

LeeH wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 am
30 psi to seal the lid then reduce the pressure to x psi to carbonate over a week then serve at the same pressure.

If your pour is too fast or slow adjust your line length/bore to suit or use a flow control tap.

Pressure, temp and time are your 3 variables that you must control.

Thanks. so would you not prime at all?