9 month old IPA in a corny

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
gobuchul
Steady Drinker

9 month old IPA in a corny

Post by gobuchul » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Well the Mrs had me building shelves in the utility room today.

I haven't brewed for months and all my corny kegs were in there, in amongst what thought were all empties, was a full keg of IPA I brewed in December last year. Tried the PRV and it seems to have held a good seal, plenty of CO2.

The utility room has a boiler and HW cylinder, so it always pretty warm. So I hope that hasn't turned it. It was a 7% brew so that may help it.

I'm crash cool it in an ice bucket and give it a try later.

Here's hoping!

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: 9 month old IPA in a corny

Post by LeeH » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:21 pm

The heat will be the killer, not the time. Will be interesting to see how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:52 pm

You may be okay. Two hundred years ago the IPA sent to India spent time in the hot hold of a ship.
The bitterness will have faded, but it could still be good otherwise.
I'm just here for the beer.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 am

If it is a proper IPA then it could well be okay, should also be a useful test of how effective your disinfection and oxygen management were. If it is one of the american-style pseudo-IPAs that are all about late hops and aroma then perhaps best not to get your hopes up too much, but it may still be drinkable. Good luck with it!
Kev

ingo
Steady Drinker

Post by ingo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:42 am

You could toss a sock with fresh hops in it,

ingo

gobuchul
Steady Drinker

Post by gobuchul » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Well it's not sour so I guess no infection.

However, it had a leak from the "out" post, which had lost a few litres very slowly over time. It held pressure but only just so it hadn't carbonated.

It is very hazy though. It was made from a recipe kit from The Homebrew Company with my Grainfather. I had similar issues with other beers I made from their grain, overcrushed, hazy and stuck mashes. Although as it been stood so long, once I get past the first couple of litres, it should be very clear.

I have put some gas on it and will see how it's getting on tonight, although from a taste of the flat beer, it's drinkable, just not a very good beer.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm

gobuchul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm
Well it's not sour so I guess no infection.

However, it had a leak from the "out" post, which had lost a few litres very slowly over time. It held pressure but only just so it hadn't carbonated.

It is very hazy though. It was made from a recipe kit from The Homebrew Company with my Grainfather. I had similar issues with other beers I made from their grain, overcrushed, hazy and stuck mashes. Although as it been stood so long, once I get past the first couple of litres, it should be very clear.

I have put some gas on it and will see how it's getting on tonight, although from a taste of the flat beer, it's drinkable, just not a very good beer.
If it’s slowly cleared over time you’re probably dragging up some rough sediment that is making the flavour worse - could be worth racking into a new corny from the top. Everything we’ve aged, milds and strong beers alike, has tasted divine after 6 months