Brewing heating element

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Dave_brewer
Sober

Brewing heating element

Post by Dave_brewer » Thu May 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Does anyone have any experience of these elements off of eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Universal-230V ... 2295184573?

Like the look of the larger plug connector with these. My current element has one of the kettle lead type connectors and it has started to melt.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Re: Brewing heating element

Post by a-slayer » Thu May 02, 2019 6:52 pm

I bought one, it was only 1 or 1.5kw so pretty useless for me.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Dave_brewer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:49 pm
Does anyone have any experience of these elements off of eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Universal-230V ... 2295184573?

Like the look of the larger plug connector with these. My current element has one of the kettle lead type connectors and it has started to melt.
Use better leads. The ones that come with elements are usually not properly hot condition. These are proper hot condition ones and won't melt easily: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01M5F95LQ
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

homebrewer
Sober

Post by homebrewer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 pm

I bought one of these as a backup, but I never even used it yet. I'll have to get it out, dust it off, and test it out. I'll let you know after I use it for the first time.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:30 am

The ebay product linked to in the OP has gone since May, but I guess it would mean the round plug type. These were the style of connectors used before the modern IEC kettle leads, usually made out of more suitable plastic, and were generally much better for the job IMO.

I don't actually know if those currently on ebay are of similar quality, but if so they would get my approval. Though replacement leads/plugs for those elements are (or at least were) costly and scarce so if anyone is thinking of getting them then make sure you can get both before ordering either.

But FWIW: the hot condition IEC type (C15) shouldn't melt, for one to do so would usually be a sign of poor contact. The contacts may have needed cleaning or have weakened/worn-out, but either way once one has overheated it should really be considered past it. Connectors are often a weak point and the IEC ones can have quite short lives if used for sustained times at full capacity. Though it isn't helped by people sometimes using the standard (not hot condition) types, and there are also unbranded imports around which don't appear to be up to spec to begin with.
Kev

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Had one and it blew up. Also they come with a plastic shroud and tightening nut that is very hard to tighten, will loosen when heated and the threads will ring easily, u need to replace with a km7 stainless lock nut.
Backerelecric.com do a really good quality 2.4 and 2.7kw version, but again u need to replace the lock nut.

Peco do good quality elements that have a really good lock but and washer, seals easily and lasts a long tine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Useful to know, thanks. Sounds like the eBay ones are look-a-likes of lower quality then.
Kev

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Yeah, I’n my experience they are lower quality, the haden elements are top quality, but you will need to purchase a better lock nut