Brewhouse/Shed Wishlist

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Re: Brewhouse/Shed Wishlist

Post by Wet Spaniel » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:15 pm

Thanks Guy - you’ve answered all my questions, much appreciated.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Pleased to have been of help. Are you thinking of getting an extractor? Seems much easier to me than covering the kettle and fitting ducting!

Guy

Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Post by Wet Spaniel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:49 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:10 pm
Pleased to have been of help. Are you thinking of getting an extractor? Seems much easier to me than covering the kettle and fitting ducting!

Guy
I’m not sure yet mate. I’ve taken a mahoosively long time to get back into brewing since moving house - I’ve just done my first brew in 5 years. I have a dedicated brewshed/man cave and the boiler is next to some double doors. I just need to see if keeping them open is practical. I have lots of other kit in there so I like the idea of there being no chance of condensation - hence my radar picking up,when you mentioned your fan.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:21 pm

The double doors will probably blow the steam back into the room!

My guess is a 16" pedestal fan behind the kettle (if you can fit one there) will blow the steam out of the room. There's a few on here who use that technique. My room and arrangement of kit wouldn't allow for the steam to be blown out, hence the fan to suck it out.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Guy

Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Post by Wet Spaniel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks Guy - I’m convinced that this could be the solution if my current ventilation (open doors) plan doesn’t work - thanks again

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:34 am

Rankin_leigh wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:02 pm
Jocky wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:25 pm
Some form of drainage (ideally a screed floor with multiple floor drains) would be my first choice for something that's hard to do later.

On the subject of steam - extractor fans aren't very effective unless you cover the kettle and have a duct going outside. Or I would consider the idea of a steam condenser: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum ... hp?t=31626
Ive been looking into upgrading my ventilation... current does feck all, now it's getting colder, back to soaked walls...

Anyone else actually tried this in practise? Does it work well, and how much additional water does it actually need? (I dont have mains in my garage so would need to pump/gravity feed).

My current plan was
https://www.screwfix.com/p/cooke-lewis- ... RRWidgetID
I have a very similar cooker hood to that model in the kitchen and would be very surprised if it would cope with an active rolling boil while brewing. It struggles with a full Hob top during Normal cooking, despite only about a metre of ducting to the outside.