Everything beer engine, polypins, cask and questions

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Everything beer engine, polypins, cask and questions

Post by PeeBee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 am

orlando wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:18 pm
Looking foward to getting mine out of its Summer mothballs now the cellar is at the perfect temperature for CC Beer.
"A <handpump> is for life, not just for Christmas." [-X

Kev888 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:25 pm
... But the slightest excuse would have all six back on stream!
pssst, I think I know where there is some used handpumps that might not be missed if they were "to go missing". :whistle:
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 am

PeeBee wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 am
pssst, I think I know where there is some used handpumps that might not be missed if they were "to go missing". :whistle:
Heh, don't tempt me, I've nowhere near the space needed at the moment! Even little freeflow taps are a bit of a challenge to leave set up.

Though might be worth getting/keeping for yourself if applicable - either as spares or to sell on. Cleaned up and sold at popular times of year they can fetch quite good prices with a bit of luck. Mine sold for slightly more than I'd originally paid, overall, making them effectively free for the years I'd had them - which wasn't the intention but usefully softened the blow of them going.
Kev

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 am

Kev888 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 am
PeeBee wrote:
… Though might be worth getting/keeping for yourself if applicable - either as spares or to sell on. …
Okay. I'll sneak off round to North Norfolk tonight then. I'll get me push bike out. Exactly where does Orlando live? :-$
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:13 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 am
Kev888 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 am
PeeBee wrote:
… Though might be worth getting/keeping for yourself if applicable - either as spares or to sell on. …
Okay. I'll sneak off round to North Norfolk tonight then. I'll get me push bike out. Exactly where does Orlando live? :-$
Good luck, it's built into my Keezer, though there is one in a box "somewhere" I've never used. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:53 pm

I have one bolted to a bench in the garage that's not in use, yet! But it's a fair ride on a push bike to get oop north.
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Prudhoe ain't much (ain't at all?) further than N. Norfolk from here. But to be honest I don't think I'll make it out the end o' me road on one o' me mtbs (balance is a bit shot, and with a pilfered handpump under me arm … guess I'm better off buying a new one if I decide the three I've got 'snot enough).

But thanks all for your encouragement to help this budding handpump thief. I think I'll put that idea of "re-employment" on hold fer 'bit.

BTW Having dodgy balance is great for denying I'm hammered (again).

shoreman
Tippler

Post by shoreman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Getting ready to flip this Cubitainer for serving that has been conditioning for about a week and a half. It is a Holiday Best Bitter. First one to go on the new pump and I'm stoked.

I used the Conan strain of yeast which has English origins, but doesn't floc out too well in a dry hopped beer. Recently picked up White Labs English Ale yeast which is the Fullers strain for better flocculation moving forward.

The malt bill was based off a recipe from Ushers of Throwbridge but I used Admiral & EKG hops rather than Target, Goldings.

Cheers.
engine.jpg
cubitainer.jpg

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:00 am

Try Wyeast 1099 for an incredible flocculator next time.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:05 pm

I have a 10 litre polypin of Ruby mild to serve via the beer engine over Xmas , the part of the same brew that went into bottles has been quite quaffable . So hope the polypin is similar .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:47 am

39040914-171A-4260-9362-C6FDA337DDDC.jpeg
3% abv dry stout. Lightly forced carbed, Cornelius keg with propane regulator, Angram 1/2 pint Clamp On model, poured from above, no sparkler.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 am

=D> Hope it tastes as good as it looks. Cracker.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:46 pm

orlando wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 am
=D> Hope it tastes as good as it looks. Cracker.
It does =D> it’s Graham Wheeler’s Beamish Stout. I was aiming for lower gravity but it’s still full bodied and rich tasting. Chocolate and roast in abundance and so creamy thanks to the beer engine. I used to think a sparkler was necessary but a little more carbonation is what was needed.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

shoreman
Tippler

Post by shoreman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Looks like a nice little stout. I'm still playing around with the sparklers.

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:43 pm

I was wrong! The piston seal was leaking so I had to take the beer engine apart to replace it, and I noticed the hose from the piston to the swan neck was badly kinked and the constriction was acting like a sparkler! I replaced the hose and was careful to not push the engine all the way back to give the hose room to move. Now the handle pulls much easier and the flow is not restricted at all, so to get that creamy head I put the sparkler back on.
Live and learn.
What's interesting is my brother in law is a mechanic and never saw a beer engine before but wondered why the pull was so hard and I assumed it was normal. It pulls much easier now. :oops:
Last edited by Trefoyl on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:15 pm

[/quote]
Trefoyl wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:47 am
39040914-171A-4260-9362-C6FDA337DDDC.jpeg
Nice looking Beer there Tref!
How do you stop it falling out of the glass when it is on its` side? =D>

WA

Sent from my non torking tap.