Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:16 am

The Californian Common / Steam Beer yeast is fantastic.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm

I was thinking of using that one.

I did like the kolsch yeast when I used it, not felt the need to revisit the real ale and us pale again though.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:16 am
The Californian Common / Steam Beer yeast is fantastic.
I've enjoyed this with several brews too, one of their best original series yeasts.

Any updates on their other newer Beirm yeasts would be really useful, especially how they compare with the dried yeasts they seem to aim to compete with!

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 am

From their 'standard' range, I highly rate the Kolsch and California Common yeasts, they really are excellent.

I have had a good experience with the hog norsk yeast at 22° brewing a sort of strong bitter user upper with lots of EKG. Quite a clean yeast at this temp.

I have a dark mild conditioning at the moment using the Celtic yeast, I'll report back in that one when it's ready, but looks good so far.

I didn't get on with the real ale and us pale yeasts, didn't like the taste I think they imparted, but I seem to be in the minority there so don't read to much into that (I don't like S04 for the same reason, for instance, and that's usually well regarded) but they both performed OK.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Just considering buying in CML yeast for an IPA with a heavy dry hop (part of the order with the hops). Read through the thread but little on the results with this style - any comments?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 am

Sounds like its more into APA territory or similar, if there are loads of dry hops. Their PiA kiwi yeast should suit that quite well imo.
Kev

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm

JJSH wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 am
From their 'standard' range, I highly rate the Kolsch and California Common yeasts, they really are excellent.

I have had a good experience with the hog norsk yeast at 22° brewing a sort of strong bitter user upper with lots of EKG. Quite a clean yeast at this temp.

I have a dark mild conditioning at the moment using the Celtic yeast, I'll report back in that one when it's ready, but looks good so far.

I didn't get on with the real ale and us pale yeasts, didn't like the taste I think they imparted, but I seem to be in the minority there so don't read to much into that (I don't like S04 for the same reason, for instance, and that's usually well regarded) but they both performed OK.
Really useful update on their newer yeasts, thanks. Their service is fantastic, but I also have reservations similar to your last paragraph and find I'm using US-05 very frequently these days as the reliable high attenuation gives me extra reassurance that I'm much less likely to have gushing (or worse, bombs) when I've bottled and matured for some months.

Any other feedback from their newer dry yeast range ( or their Kveiks) would be great.

P.S. the demand recently has been such that I think they shut the usual website to orders often and divert via eBay; I suspect they will be keen to open up usual routes again to avoid the eBay cut at some point.

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 pm

I've recently used the Beoir yeast in 3 beers. Apparent Attenuation ranged from 72-76%. Taste wise I would say they were excellent with hops coming through nicely, yet still good malt flavour. First two were bottled, but quickly became overcarbed even though I reduced the amount of priming sugar in the second batch to 65g in 23L. The third brew went in a King Keg and was very nice. Recipe below:

Pale Malt (Minch Malt) 3500g
Weyermann Cara Aroma 100g
Chateau Cara Gold (120 EBC) 200g
Torrefied Wheat 200g

Admiral 20g @90mins
Bramling Cross 20g @15mins
Admiral 30g @ flameout
Bramling Cross 30g @ flameout

OG 1.046 SG 1.011
31 EBU 31 EBC
Altonrea Homebrew

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I can confirm the mild I did with the Beior yeast came out really well.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:22 pm

I currently have a hoppy pale / APA on tap using their Haze yeast. Hop aroma comes through well and it is great, but has dropped perfectly clear which amused me!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk