Cannular Canning Machine

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist

Re: Cannular Canning Machine

Post by angelHomeBrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

B64 and CDL are can lid standards, B64 not common in U.K and becoming obsolete. I *think* they will fit the same 202 can body. 202 being can standard of certain diameter, think it’s 53mm diameter iirc

McCoy
Tippler

Post by McCoy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:12 pm

B64 is the US standard, so they might exist for a while. Importing B64 lids could be the cheapest solution.

angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist

Post by angelHomeBrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:13 pm

Think that’s right, it’s a bit of a minefield. As I understand it even as a standard in US the B64 is older and will be replaced by CDL (Ball) or equivalent ISE (Crown). Ball and Crown being the main can suppliers

I think the new standard replacing B64 has some material saving on lid. Tiny per lid, but considering the amount of can lids out there it makes a difference

Might be wrong, I looked into this stuff and it was confusing so got a commercial canning company to advise and help

For U.K. and Europe they advised to get working with the current 202 crown cans and lids and had chuck manufactured to suit

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Another option, the "Grolsch bottles" of canning : https://twisteecan.com

(no affiliation)

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 pm

Christened the cannular the other night. Can’t wait to crack one open and give them to friends
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:53 pm

mozza wrote:Image

Christened the cannular the other night. Can’t wait to crack one open and give them to friends
Did you find it messy? I see Kegland have already got a prototype shield they will be bringing out (as well as a semi automated version of the Cannular coming out too soon; more aimed at micro breweries)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:55 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:Another option, the "Grolsch bottles" of canning : https://twisteecan.com

(no affiliation)
They actually look a pretty good idea if you use some form of beer gun, cap on foam and if they provide a good seal. Perfect for some situations where you might not want to take glass bottles, although I don’t think I would want to bottle batches at that price.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:33 pm

f00b4r wrote:
mozza wrote:Image

Did you find it messy? I see Kegland have already got a prototype shield they will be bringing out (as well as a semi automated version of the Cannular coming out too soon; more aimed at micro breweries)
Actually very little mess if any. After watching Barneey’s video I was expecting a right mess but with mine only some very fine specks came out, and not with every can either.

Not enough to worry about. I think not overfilling the cans and making sure the vertical calibration is a tight as you can get away with, without deforming.
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:16 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:19 pm
Another option, the "Grolsch bottles" of canning : https://twisteecan.com

(no affiliation)
NB,
Maybe not.........see `Are these cans reusable`.
https://twisteecan.com/elements/contact/

WA

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:14 am

Supposedly the reps are saying that they can be reused a few times, and they plan to sell spare caps as well, but obviously the official line will be the one that sells most cans....

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:28 pm

I see zero benefit in those. ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Jonny from BrewKegTap here. The extra chuck we sell with the Cannular seamer fits CDL/ CDLE ends (lids). The 202 cans are all pretty much the same everywhere, it’s the ends that are different. We have a number of UK small breweries successfully using the machine with the supplied CDL chuck with UK sourced cans / ends.
As a few have said here the machine often needs some tinkering to get it setup properly but that’s what home brewing’s all about isn’t it?!

Kernowbeerproject
Sober

Post by Kernowbeerproject » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Hey guys
So I bought a Cannular with the CDL Chuck, super stoked to get my beer canned. But I’ve been tinkering with the rollers now for three days, I’ve got it sealed but not air tight, when I saw through the top, it looks like the can isn’t creating a lip, it’s just staying up and the lid is wrapping around it. Now I don’t know if anyone has the exact measurements the rollers have to be with the CDL chuck, but I’ve been going off the Kegland guide which uses the b64 chuck. I’m now at the end of my tether, I need help, any tips anyone has would be great, or even better show me how they’ve got the rollers perfect, because I’m stumped.
Cheers

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:17 am

It's a pain to set up.

1st Op Roller
Y-as close as you can get it without touching the chuck
X- 0.4mm

2nd Op Roller
Y-1.2mm
X-0.3-0.5mm

The trick is to ensure that you only push the lever/seam the can for about half a second to a second (just long enough to create the seam) in each direction and not to push too hard. I always use a set of callipers during a batch to test every 3/4 cans o ensure the seam is in spec.
Cheers and gone,

Mozza