How long for a hot break?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

How long for a hot break?

Post by mrboxpiff » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

I've recently upgraded my kit with a plate chiller and it cools the wort so quickly that the hops added at flame out are only in for about 20 minutes. Should they be in for longer before cooling starts and if so how long?
TIA
Mrboxpiff

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: How long for a hot break?

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:53 pm

Hmmm. Most people (I think!) cool the wort to just under 80°C, then add the flame out hops, then leave them for about 20-30 minutes in the boiler to get the aroma out of them.

After that you chill the wort to pitching temperature.

Guy

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Just like that ^

The Epworth Brewer
Tippler

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 pm

I once read that hops added post boil continue to add bitterness until the temp drops below 80c but I may stand corrected. Years ago some commercial brewers added hops into the cask but I doubt if that practice happens now. Again I could be wrong. I tend to dry hop in a secondary fermenter. I believe I got that idea from Dave Line's recipes.I know I sound a bit vague. Put it down to age.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 pm

I recall that it keeps isomerising until it goes under 60 C.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:15 am

Dr Peter Darby told a group of us on a hop tour a couple of years ago to go down to 65c (I think... could have been 60) if you don’t want to extract bitterness but still get flavour.

My latest IPA has plenty of bitterness, but all my hops went in at 80c.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Having finally set myself up to rapid chill - having previously cubed and then boiled 1 gallon for 10 minutes with my late/last addition hops and rapid cooled in the fridge the following day, I'm curious about leaving the wort for 20-30 minutes at 60C. Does that risk infection or is it high enough to protect itself?

The Epworth Brewer
Tippler

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 pm

When I first started AG in 1980 after buying Dave Line's book I left it to cool naturally overnight. Never had a problem. I have only ever lost one brew and that was a kit in 1971. I rarely use a wort chiller we are on a water meter. I am starting up again after a 2 year break, and for the first time going all stainless 3 pot. I might invest in a plate chiller eventually, but as long as you're pots are clean you should be alright. Brewers of old used open vessels, known as'Yorkshire Squares' for primary fermentation. Of course they very quickly got a good yeast head to protect the wort. Keep the lid on the FV until the yeast covers it and you should be ok.