Wort clear as bell on barreling but now very hazy.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Wort clear as bell on barreling but now very hazy.

Post by Doreblade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:20 pm

At a loss here to why my first AG brew is now very hazy on dispensing. Checked this forum and Google and still a tad confused. The beer tastes rather good indeed - very pleased with that aspect of my first AG so I don't think infection is the cause.

It was a Hopping Hare clone and my very first GF30 brew, eventful, a few mistakes but generally all good to end of fermentation.

This is it at FG check after 2 weeks fermenting

So into the pressure barrel with some Wilko beer fining (not sure why I bothered but habit from kit brewing). Sadly I can't cold crash and it's been in the garage for 2 more weeks at not ideal but ok temps...

I've drawn off about 4 pints, tastes very good but it still looks like this

Hope you can give me your thoughts and pointers and feel free to ask questions to get a fuller picture of my brewday, recipe etc. if it'll help.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Wort clear as bell on barreling but now very hazy.

Post by Jocky » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 pm

There's a few things that might cause haze:

1. Chill haze. If you've served the beer reasonably cold then it could be chill haze. Generally it clears as it warms back up again.

2. Dry hop haze. Did you dry hop in the keg? This adds polyphenols to the beer which bind with protein from the malt to create haze. It drops out over time a bit, and this speeds up in the cold.

3. Yeast. If you carbonated the keg with priming sugar then you might have some yeast at the bottom of the barrel that is coming out when you pour... probably unlikely but I thought I'd mention it.

Other things that can cause haze are over use of finings or really bad infections.

Any of those seem likely?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi Jocky - ta for the thoughts.

1) chill haze - kept and served warm at a ambient room temp of 18°c so not a chill haze.

2) dry hopping - no dry hopping this brew.

3) yeast- yep used about 60g granulated sugar to carbonate. This may be it but thought I'd be through his layer after 4 pints drawn.

Infection - the beer tatses pretty good and no signs of any infection tastewise

Finings - overuse of finings might be it but it's odd its consistently hazy as I go through it.

I'll see how it progresses over the next week or so. I'm still thankful my first AG is drinkable enough to invite friends go taste.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:20 am

Doreblade wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:52 pm
3) yeast- yep used about 60g granulated sugar to carbonate. This may be it but thought I'd be through his layer after 4 pints drawn.
If it's a bottom tap then not necessarily so. If it still carbonating the yeast will still be rising through the Beer rather than dropping out, particularly as you mention it is still at 18c. If you can get it into the cold it might eliminate this as a reason.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:41 pm

I think we used to call it a "beer fret". But that was probably a localism or has fallen out of favour. Or I'm remembering the wrong word.

Thunderstorms would get blamed, but in this case probably still priming (60g of sugar, 3g a litre, will make the yeast have a party). A fret described casked beer deciding to come alive again (so the beer becomes fizzy too, perhaps acid, but then it might not be yeast doing it!)
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanks orlando and PeeBee.

Had a couple of friends around to test my brew and one is involved with my very local small brewery (Drone Valley).

We discussed this haziness and we agree its prob a yeast haze from priming sugars as no bad tastes anywhere to be found. No fizzyness either though. They both thought it was a cracking beer and better than the bottled version we compared it to. Though cloudy it had the pretty much the same colour and to me the taste was nearer than I thought it was going to be so I'm rather happy indeed.

Electrician coming soon to wire up garage so cold crashing will be an option soon. But until then I need to start planning the next brew (Summer Lightning - one of my all time faves) as only 12 pints left of this one after last night.