Old Beers & Brewing

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Re: Old Beers & Brewing

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 am

Hi Bob ,
Thanks for your reply .
Copyright infringement is, one of the reasons I only look at defunct breweries,and recipies from before around 1970 or so ; (whose records are publicly accessible , where those records still exist , and some from private collections)
Best Regards & Happy Mashing!
Edd
"It was a woman who drove me to drink and I forgot to write and thank her ". W. C Fields

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 am

Clearly the recipe you have posted is your interpretation of an earlier recipe, and may well be an original recipe formulation by you and in that sense you are able to copyright it. It is not the original recipe of T & G Greenall Porter from 1862 that you claim it to be.

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 am

Dear Bobsbeer,
I don't know why you've chosen to attack my work in this way , all re creation of historical recipies call for interpretation of old brewing records.
Have you been abusive to others in the same field? , or do you have some special knowledge of the St Helens Brewery of T & G Greenall which allows you to write such tripe ? , I'd love to know the reason for your unwarranted outpouring of vitriol in my direction .
I would be grateful if you would keep your offensive remarks to yourself, I'll accept honest criticism and comments on my work , but not such offensive drivel as you seem compelled to spew forth onto the forum .
Edd
"It was a woman who drove me to drink and I forgot to write and thank her ". W. C Fields

McMullan
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by McMullan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum. Interesting thread, thanks. In terms of copyright, it should be noted that none of the historical information was published therefore it wasn't ever copyrighted, strictly speaking. Also, it isn't possible to copyright a recipe, as there is no literary value to copyright. A published book containing recipes can be copyrighted. (It's as rare as unicorn farts for a book not to be copyrighted.) The book itself is considered a work of literary value. However, there is no protection for any recipes presented in the book. Recipes are not considered in the context of property rights. If you were considering publishing a book of recipes, you may wish take this on board, if you had expectations of copyrighting recipes.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 am

Edd I apologise if you consider my pointing out the copyright issue as offensive, tripe, unwarranted vitriol and offensive drivel. I'm not sure how you can come to such conclusions when no offensive words were used, but that is by the by. However I have no wish to derail what is an interesting thread and wish you all the best in your research. I and others I'm sure, find your posts interesting, but please be mindful of your use of copyright.

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am

Hi All ,
I feel an explanation of my copyrighting is called for : The main reason I've done so is to prevent wrongfull use of my research and intellectual property rights in my interpretation of old brewing records , with no offence meant in doing so .
That being said , I'm happy to be corrected where members have more detailed knowledge of a brewery's beers than my research indicates .
Best Regards
Edd

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm

bobsbeer wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 am
Edd I apologise if you consider my pointing out the copyright issue as offensive, tripe, unwarranted vitriol and offensive drivel. I'm not sure how you can come to such conclusions when no offensive words were used, but that is by the by. However I have no wish to derail what is an interesting thread and wish you all the best in your research. I and others I'm sure, find your posts interesting, but please be mindful of your use of copyright.
Hi Bob ,
It wasn't you're mention of copyright that I objected to , rather your contention that my recipe for the T & G Greenall Porter from 1862 was not concurrent with the extant records for that brewery , with relevance to the period .
Those records just list the malt, weight of hops (sometimes by quality/grower , sometimes by geographic area) , they also only list the brewlength as racked or , declaration of production volume and , gravity, or "Weight" .
Eg Bavarians, Americans and east kents being listed in the hops section by weight , and the malts were sometimes listed by type , sometimes the bloody annoying "brewery own make" grrr!!.
Happily , other breweries were a bit more keen on detailed records of their brews ! ( Walker's of Warrington were pretty good in this regard)
Best Regards
Edd

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:04 pm

What a fantastic thread, and just as I was thinking of mothballing my AG kit. Some of us will have to up our game on these recipes.
Now if Edd were to come up with a recipe for Barnsley Bitter that would excite me in a way my wife hasn't been able to do for years.
I only ever drank Greenall's Bitter out of 2L plastic bottles from my local Tesco years ago and even that was better than a lot of the stuff you get today.

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi Epworth Brewer,
The only Barnsley recipe I've got is one for Clarkson's (Old Brewery) Best Bitter as brewed at the Exchange Brewery of Tennant's , its from late 1956 which is when I believe they closed the old brewery in Barnsley down .
I'll try and get it posted soon ,
Cheers & Happy Mashing
Edd

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 pm

I wonder how much material on old breweries/recipes is sitting in public archives just waiting to be pounced on. It might be worth visiting the local library for anyone living near a defunct brewery.

swiggingpig
Steady Drinker

Post by swiggingpig » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 pm

There's me all giddy to do the Greenall`s Bitter Beer from 1863 when you go and post this !!

Oh decisions, decisions !?!?! :)
EddtheBrew wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am
Hi All ,
Here`s the T & G Greenall Porter from 1862 , hope you all enjoy it !!
Cheers & Happy Mashing
Edd

Copyright E I Mather 2018
T & G Greenall ; Hall St Brewery , St Helens
Porter 21St November 1862
OG : 1.067.5 Racking Grav : 1.017 Final Grav : 1.014
40 IBU 5½ % A.B.V
Thank you very much for your hard work and sharing these with us. =D>

Dave.T
Tippler

Post by Dave.T » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Hello Edd,
I visited Chester archives some years ago looking for Northgate brewery records. I copied a Bitter recipe and a Pale from 1900, I can't lay my hands on them right now but even if i could, i would'nt know how to convert bushels of Barley and Wheat into usable measures.
Good on you for sharing your time and effort, any Chester Northgate recipes would be welcome.

Dave

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Dave T ,
Chester Archives , that's where the Greenall's , and Chester Northgate records are !! .
Sadly I forgot to order the Edward Greenall (Liverpool Brewery) stuff last time I visited .
I took photos and notes of the Chester Northgate Brewery Ledger , I'll be digging them out and looking them over ; from memory the beers were : H.A , XX , PDA , PA , and XXX which I think is the possibly the Old Chester .
I'll be posting one of those soon , ( when the notes & photos turn up !!)
Cheers
Edd

EddtheBrew
Piss Artist

Post by EddtheBrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 pm

swiggingpig wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 pm
There's me all giddy to do the Greenall`s Bitter Beer from 1863 when you go and post this !!

Oh decisions, decisions !?!?! :)
EddtheBrew wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am
Hi All ,
Here`s the T & G Greenall Porter from 1862 , hope you all enjoy it !!
Cheers & Happy Mashing
Edd

Copyright E I Mather 2018
T & G Greenall ; Hall St Brewery , St Helens
Porter 21St November 1862
OG : 1.067.5 Racking Grav : 1.017 Final Grav : 1.014
40 IBU 5½ % A.B.V
Thank you very much for your hard work and sharing these with us. =D>
Hi Swiggingpig,
No probs , I naturally prefer Magee's beers ;) !! But from what I've been told , the St Helens Brewery was the better of the two .
Cheers
Edd

Dave.T
Tippler

Post by Dave.T » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello Edd,
Thanks for the reply, i will look out for your post for Northgate ales. You mentioned Old Chester, i think that Greenhalls carried on brewing it after they closed the Northgate down in 69. A lot of people turned their nose up at Greenhalls bitter but the Original was a favourite of mine.
Dave.