Dumping method

Discuss all aspects of fermentation
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Dumping method

Post by chefgage » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Tell me your dumping method :)

I have a stainless conical fermenter (7gal chronical). What method do you all use when dumping the trub/ yeast during fermentation?

Currently i do a small dump after 48 hours to get rid of the trub. Then after fermentation has completed (4-5 days usually) i then dump off the yeast from the dump valve untill the pickup tube/valve has clear beer coming out. I then leave it another week before bottling. This way i do not have wasted beer sat in the cone of the fermenter. Does this sound right?

Or should you dump off ALL the yeast after fermentation is complete so that the beer is not sat on any yeast at all??
Your thoughts :)

McMullan

Re: Dumping method

Post by McMullan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:01 pm

[deleted] =D> :lol:

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:15 am

Sounds good to me, wont dumping all the sediment result in less beer being produced with the sediment replaced with waste beer at the bottom of your FV??

Afaik there are 2 main reasons for dumping from a conical, 1) to harvest yeast, and 2) removal of unwanted trub matter from the vessel.

If you do opt to go for a full sediment dump however, may i suggest a small length of triclamp sightglass to fit between the fv and dumpvalve to provide a visual indicator a split second prior to dumpin the last of the solid matter from the vessel,, also consider standing the FV in a 50cm sq gravel tray, or dump into a BIG bucket ;) :^o
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:58 am

My FV I also a stainless conical, the 7 gallon one from SS Brewtech.

The wort usually runs very clear from the boiler, so I don't bother with a trub dump.

When the primary fermentation has finished and the beer is down to about 1/4 gravity I drop the temperature to 10C for a couple of days. The yeast which settles at the bottom of the FV is run into a collection vessel for future use.

The beer's then cooled to 4C for another couple of days before kegging. The last bit of beer in the FV at kegging time is poured into the keg, leaving behind the last bit of yeast.

Guy

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks for the replies. Seems like i am on the right track :) I must admit the first beet i made with the new conical turned out to be my clearest yet. I put this down to my nice shiney conicsl fermenter of course :)