Hose pipe ban

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Hose pipe ban

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi all

I was curious if it was permitted to use my immersion chiller connected to the hose in the yard so I emailed united utilities to ask.
They took my enquiry as an exemption request.
I am now officially allowed to chill my wort without the worry (?) of being nabbed by the water usage police :wink:
Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone doesn't get along with their neighbours who may not appreciate you using a hose to brew while they can't use one to wash their car

Cheers. Tom

User avatar
Jim
Site Admin
Posts: 9901
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Washington, UK

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Excellent! :=P

There's no hosepipe ban here and the moment (as far as I know).
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Shhh, they might be listening :-$

Cheers. Tom

Bigbud78
Piss Artist
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Bigbud78 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm

What did you specifically ask them ? do you have email address you used ?

Want to get sorted also :D

User avatar
vacant
Under the Table
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: downstairs
Contact:

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by vacant » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 pm

It's not a complete ban, it's restrictions e.g.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/globala ... alweb1.pdf

There are eleven restrictions and cooling isn't on the list. Warm water can be collected and put in your water but.

There is a statutory exemption for health and safety. I reckon cooling wort to minimise infection counts :wink: .
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

User avatar
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Sadfield » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm

vacant wrote:It's not a complete ban, it's restrictions e.g.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/globala ... alweb1.pdf

There are eleven restrictions and cooling isn't on the list. Warm water can be collected and put in your water but.

There is a statutory exemption for health and safety. I reckon cooling wort to minimise infection counts :wink: .
I guess they may argue point 6, with homebrewing being a hobby and thus recreational use.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk


Kingfisher4
Piss Artist
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 pm
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:19 pm

vacant wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 pm
It's not a complete ban, it's restrictions e.g.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/globala ... alweb1.pdf

There are eleven restrictions and cooling isn't on the list. Warm water can be collected and put in your water but.

There is a statutory exemption for health and safety. I reckon cooling wort to minimise infection counts :wink: .
The cold tap water has been so warm recently at 20-21° that it has taken several times as much water to chill my grainfather batch. The only advantage is that it has all gone into the water butts, as they would otherwise be empty! Recycling at its best.

guypettigrew
Under the Table
Posts: 1611
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Christchurch, Dorset

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Interesting list of exemptions. You can use a hosepipe to water vegetables grown at home, and to water newly bought plants for 14 days after planting them. Fascinating!

Guy

User avatar
vacant
Under the Table
Posts: 1943
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: downstairs
Contact:

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by vacant » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Interesting list of exemptions. You can use a hosepipe to water vegetables grown at home, and to water newly bought plants for 14 days after planting them. Fascinating!

Guy
Yes, interesting to read the legal stuff. So "Cleaning a private motor vehicle using specific low water use apparatus such as pressure washers" is a "discretionary universal exception"
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

User avatar
soupdragon
Under the Table
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Bigbud78 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm
What did you specifically ask them ? do you have email address you used ?

Want to get sorted also :D
I just used the online contact and asked them if it was permissable to use an emersion cooler connected to a garden hose for home brewed beer. I didn't actually request an exemption they just gave me one :lol:

Cheers. Tom

Bigbud78
Piss Artist
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Bigbud78 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:33 am

soupdragon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm
Bigbud78 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm
What did you specifically ask them ? do you have email address you used ?

Want to get sorted also :D
I just used the online contact and asked them if it was permissable to use an emersion cooler connected to a garden hose for home brewed beer. I didn't actually request an exemption they just gave me one :lol:

Cheers. Tom
Cheers fella :)

Bigbud78
Piss Artist
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Bigbud78 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:33 am

soupdragon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm
Bigbud78 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm
What did you specifically ask them ? do you have email address you used ?

Want to get sorted also :D
I just used the online contact and asked them if it was permissable to use an emersion cooler connected to a garden hose for home brewed beer. I didn't actually request an exemption they just gave me one :lol:

Cheers. Tom
Cheers fella :)

User avatar
keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: Norwich

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by keith1664 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:34 am

We don't have a hosepipe ban here atm but last time we did I asked Anglian Water and was told I couldn't use a hose to my immersion chiller.... fortunately normal British weather resumed shortly after.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

demig
Hollow Legs
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by demig » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Jim wrote:Excellent! :=P

There's no hosepipe ban here and the moment (as far as I know).
Not drained Kielder yet! Seriously though I didn’t move to the North East years ago to boil in my own skin in blazing heat, it’s just not right!

Bigbud78
Piss Artist
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Hose pipe ban

Post by Bigbud78 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm

soupdragon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm
Bigbud78 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm
What did you specifically ask them ? do you have email address you used ?

Want to get sorted also :D
I just used the online contact and asked them if it was permissable to use an emersion cooler connected to a garden hose for home brewed beer. I didn't actually request an exemption they just gave me one :lol:

Cheers. Tom
Contacted them on the online help and they have directed me to an online form to fill in, is this what you did ?

Post Reply